This unique, vintage-inspired and familiar guitar is the result of more than two years of work and close collaboration between Grammy winner John Mayer and Paul Reed Smith.
To develop this instrument, both looked at their favorite elements of 1963-1964 vintage instruments. And thanks to an exquisite attention to detail, this idealized version of a vintage single coil guitar was finally made.
Some of the more distinctive specifications include: the headstock shape, tuners, neck and fretboard, bridge and pickups and electronics.
– The headstock shape of this Silver Sky is based on PRS’ trademark design, but it is inverted to adapt to Mayer’s playing style (and to maintain a consistent length of string behind the nut)
– The tuners are in a traditional vintage style, but with the PRS locking design.
– The neck shape was modeled having vintage instruments from 1963/1964 in mind and the fretboard has a radius of 7.25 “.
– The steel tremolo adopts a classic design and incorporates the PRS trem arm and Gen III knife edge screws.
– The bridge is setup flush to the body in the neutral position so that the tremolo bridge only goes down in pitch. By keeping the bridge in contact with the body, the guitar itself is acoustically louder, which improves the signal-to-noise ratio of the single-coil pickups.
Other features to highlight are its bone nut, a molded metal jack plate that is curves and makes plugging and unplugging a guitar cable hassle-free, retooled knobs, a fretwire that is slightly smaller than you’d find on most PRS, and PRS’s double action truss rod.
After John Mayer was seen with this guitar on stage in the spring of 2017, the wait has been long.
According to him: “It’s been a dream of mine for years to design a guitar that includes some of my favorite vintage specifications but with a modern spirit and aesthetic. After two years of study and refinement, the Silver Sky is my vision on what a reboot of the electric guitar should look and feel like”.
If you would like receive a message when we receive more stock, please fill in the following form.