Music Man James Valentine Trans Black
When Ernie Ball offered James Valentine to make a signature model, the guitarist of Maroon 5 had it clear: he wanted something versatile that did not force him to change guitars between songs when playing live.
His group has been transitioning from the classic pop rock of their first albums to a much more modern and commercial sound, combining funk and electronic music with pop, a mixture that demands an instrument capable of offering a wide range of sounds.
The result: a Strat-style model with humbucker pickups that can sound as funky and sharp as a Telecaster or round and powerful as a Les Paul.
For this they devised a guitar with a solid ash body in the shape of a Strat, with a neck and fingerboard in roasted maple, which give the guitar that bite and sharp tone of the Telecaster.
To achieve the versatility demanded by Valentine, Ernie Ball decided to mount two Humbucker pickups with Music Man Custom® active preamp and push / push volume for increased gain, plus a passive 500kohm push / push tone and .022µF capacitor. The result is a powerful, round sound comparable to a Les Paul.
Upon that, the guitar has Schaller M6-IND locking headstock, a balanced black Melamine nut, and, of course, its unmistakably elegant Trans Black finish. High level features at a very competitive price for those who need a guitar that works as a hybrid between a Tele and a Les Paul.
- James Valentine (Maroon 5) Signature
- Model: Strat
- Construction: Solid
- Body: Ash
- Neck: Roasted maple
- Fingerboard: Roasted maple
- Neck Construction: Bolt-on
- Nut width: 1-5/8″ (41.3 mm) capo , 2-1/4″ (56.9 mm) last fret
- Nut material: Black Melamine compensated
- Radius: 10″
- Frets: 22
- Scale: 25-1/2″ (64.8 cm)
- Tuners: Schaller M6-IND locking
- Fingerboard inlays: Dots
- Pickups: SH – Music Man® custom-wound staggered pole piece single coil (bridge) and a humbucker with chrome covers (neck)
- Controls: Custom Music Man® active preamp; push/push volume for gain boost, 500kohm push/push passive tone for custom split pickup configurations – .022µF tone capacitor
- Bridge: Music Man® Modern hardtail with curved vintage saddle
- Hardware: Chrome
- Finish: Trans Black
- Hardcase included